What happens when you disagree with others?
Sometimes we feel we have to prove that we and our ideas are right and the other person is wrong.
You might keep putting forward new arguments to support your idea and to gain support.
And yet what happens? You keep meeting resistance and counter-arguments back!
Like magnets we might end up constantly repelling each other, finding no way through, digging deeper into our ‘them’ and ‘us’ camps.
We don’t always have to agree with each other, and yet we should attempt to see the person in front of us and understand where they are coming from.
When we do, then we understand better their views, their drivers and motivations, and it might lead to a way through, even if we still disagree.
What you will learn in this episode:
- Disagreeing starts with good listening
- Don’t assume you know or understand
- How empathy helps us disagree
- The difference CQ (cultural intelligence) can make
- Clarify to check we have heard their views
- Finding a common objective
- Start small to move forward